The time of year we trade in our summer dresses for sweater weather is known as fall. However, if you're like me, you'd rather get the most use out of your wardrobe's dresses and skirts. Why not? Getting the most usage out of your clothes is sustainable and better for the environment.
The term "outfit repeating" comes to mind. But outfit repeating is not a bad thing at all. In fact, it's encouraged as it brings out creativity and more thoughtfulness. Wearing outfits only once or twice is not sustainable and bad for the environment. The "throw away culture" is insane and is fueled by the fast fashion industry to sell more cheaply made clothing that's bad for the environment and the people who made it.
Each year, the average American discards approximately 82 pounds of clothing. Globally, an anticipated 92 million tons of textiles waste is generated each year, with the equivalent to a garbage truck's worth of clothes ending up on landfill sites every second. It's time to do things differently.
With a little fine-tuning and accessorizing, you'll be able to incorporate many pieces into fall and then layer them over your winter ensemble. You'll be back in spring and summer before you know it!
Here are some tips on how you can transition your summer dresses and skirts into chic ensembles for fall!
- Add cardigan, blazer or jacket to your dress for an extra layer of warmth on chilly days.
- Layer your dress with tights and boots for a more complete look.
- Add a scarf to your dress for extra coverage and warmth.
- Trade in opened toes sandals for ballet flats.
- Pair with boots and tights when it's cold outside. Cute vegan boots exist!
- Put on a cardigan or sweat shirt over your summer dress. Use a belt or a ribbon to easily tuck and conceal your sweater beneath you. This is more elegant and makes your dress appear like a skirt.
- To make it extra cozy, wear your dress over leggings or tights for warmth if you need to go outside for anything.
- Look at HEMP-based clothing to see how you can stay cool in the warmer temperatures and warm in the colder ones! Hemp is moisture wicking and regulates your body temperature to keep you comfy year round.
- Wear a turtleneck or sleeved shirt underneath the dress.
- Warm hats are an easy way to accessorize. It warms your head, prevents wind from entering your ears, and can be the finishing touch to a great outfit.
Are you looking for some statement pieces to spruce up your fall wardrobe? Check out our fall dresses and skirts for more options on how you can change up your look this year while being sustainable and still looking fabulous! These may be used as a fall wedding guest dress or a date night outfit in a matter of minutes.
We love sustainable fashion and doing what we can to lower our carbon footprint. VALANI is an eco friendly clothing brand that creates beautiful, timeless pieces meant to last from season to season with just a few tweaks here and there. Our garments are ethically made in the U.S.A., as well as by our GOTS certified facility in India - all using only plant based fabrics like hemp, Tencel and banana for long-lasting quality without guilt of fast fashion!